Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Lazy Latte Log: Perk Kafe

TL;DR: ★★☆☆☆

Cute, cozy venue, but the drinks are quite subpar.

My chai with milk ($4) and my friend's apple cider (closed lid) and croissant
(37th St. & 3rd Ave.)

On a rainy Sunday afternoon, I came to Perk Kafe in Midtown for a quick coffee date with a friend. While I was immediately enamored by the cafe's cozy, rustic vibe and decor, I was seriously underwhelmed by the quality and taste of my chai with milk (yep, I went with a chai instead of a regular latte because it was already quite late in the afternoon, and I didn't want the espresso to keep me up all night :x).

The chai spices and flavor, while strong, were definitely not well-balanced with the milk and sugar, making the drink way too spicy and even a bit bitter. The consistency was also kind of off — it wasn't as thick and milky as I usually prefer but rather quite watery and very thin. In the end, $4 seemed way too much for what this was, especially given the subpar quality and taste.

But as I said, this place does have a very nice venue for one to read his/her book or do some work. It's pretty quiet, and the big window in the front brings in a lot of nice, natural light even on a rainy day. However, seating is a bit limited as there are only two or three small tables and one semi-long communal table that seats about seven to eight people.

Though Perk isn't as well known as other coffee shops, I kind of had high expectations for it but unfortunately was disappointed. I may give it another chance and try their regular latte though, since everything deserves a second chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment