Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Quickie: Grom

TL;DR: ★★★★☆

Why did it take me so long to try Grom?!

This ever-famous gelato shop is definitely worth the hype as its products are insanely creamy and delicious. Grom has really great flavors including the classics, such as bacio (chocolate hazelnut) and stracciatella (milk-based flavor with chocolate chips), and some more unusual ones, such as cinnamon and "crema di Grom," which is the shop's signature flavor.

Friend's coffee pastry cream (February flavor) and cinnamon, my stracciatella and crema di Grom
58th St. & Broadway (among various locations)

I got the crema di Grom and stracciatella, and both were seriously to die for. Crema di Grom is "egg cream with corn biscuits and Columbian 'Teyuna' chocolate chips," according to the menu, and it was probably one of the best gelato flavors that I've tried. The "egg cream" gelato, which tasted like slightly nutty vanilla, was so, so good, and the biscuit chunks reminded me of Belgian spekuloos cookies — I would highly, HIGHLY recommend this to everyone and anyone. The stracciatella was also great; I really loved the crunchy, high-quality chocolate chips juxtaposed with the silky, creamy gelato.

Then why the -1 star?

 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Grom's gelato is definitely not the most affordable. For the small cup, you'll have to fish out about $6. I guess you pay for the high quality, but it's a bit too steep for my liking, and I think Grom could afford to dial it down a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment